1316 St. Nicholas Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
The Bridge Theatre is another of the nearly forgotten cinemas that once operated in the Washington Heights section of upper Manhattan. Research suggests that the theatre might have been previously called the Palace, and was re-named Bridge around 1930 in conjunction with construction of the George Washington Bridge. The 1934 Film Daily Year Book lists the Bridge Theatre as part of the Haring & Blumenthal Circuit, which operated similar late-run "nabes" in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Long Island, and New Jersey.
Several reports about the Bridge Theatre can be found in the archives of The New York Times. In October, 1935, an elderly retired jeweler died in his seat at the Bridge Theatre from an apparent heart attack. During the week of February 7, 1942, the Bridge Theatre ran a special series of revivals to benefit Russian War Relief. By September of that year, the Bridge Theatre had closed forever. The Times reported that the one-story building and its five stores had been sold to the Eighth Avenue Medical Oxygen & Ambulance Service, which would convert the theatre portion "to its own use." It is in retail use today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater