1 person favorited this theater
The Odeon Cinema, St. Helier in Jersey (one of the Channel Islands), was the first cinema to be designed and opened by Odeon Theatres Ltd. after World War II, opening on 2nd June 1952. The original seating capacity was for 1,360, later increased slightly to 1,373. The architectural firm T.P. Bennett & Son designed the building with a fresh 1950’s look. The exterior was clad in a chequer-board style in the panels which were attached to the walls. Seating was provided in the auditorium in stalls and circle levels.
The Odeon was closed for twinning in September 1980, re-opening with 719 seats in the former stalls and 592 in the former balcony. In 1989, the balcony screen was subdivided into two screens seating 231 and 171. In 1992, the stalls screen was subdivided with seating for 409 and 244.
In 2001, the Odeon was designated a site of ‘Special Scientific Interest’. The Odeon was closed on 7th October 2004 when a new Cineworld multiplex opened in St. Helier.
It was taken over by an independent operator and re-opened on 25th March 2005, re-named the New Forum Cinema. Soon known as the Forum Cinema, it billed itself as ‘Jersey’s Family Cinema’. It was closed around 2013.
It is a Listed building, but in late-2010, there were proposals to de-list the building in preperation for possible demolition. In 2014 it has been taken over by an evangelical church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater