No one has favorited this theater yet
This theatre originally opened on 3rd January 1898 as the Alhambra Theatre of Varieties and was designed in a Moorish style by the architectural firm Martin & Blomfield Jackson, headed by A. Blomfield Jackson, one-time partner of noted theatre architect C.J. Phipps. The original seating capacity was 1,200. It was located in the East End district of Sheffield and was operated by the MacNaghten Vaudeville Circuit. It was re-named Attercliffe Palace Theatre in 1904. It was taken over by T. Allan Edwardes of Derby in 1907, and showed its first film programme in June 1909. In November 1911 it had a name change to Palace of Varieties.
It closed in June 1930 and was re-designed by architect Fred A. Foster in an Atmospheric style, re-opening on 13th October 1930 as a full-time cinema, but with occassional variety acts booked. There was a 21 feet deep stage and 6 dressing rooms. It ceased to operate as a cinema on 17 July 1937 and went to live theatre, finally closing on 1st July 1955 with the revue “Strip, Sauce and Spice”. Demolished in 1962.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater