70 Beach Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Fabian Theaters
Architects: James Whitford, Snr.
Located in the Stapleton district of Staten Island. The following information was taken from the December 26, 1999 edition of the Staten Island Advance:
Designed by architect James Whitford Snr., the Liberty Theatre was opened in 1918 by veteran showman Charles Moses on Beach Street in Stapleton.
The theatre offered plays and vaudeville on Sundays. 1919 was a gala year for this theatre, with a steady parade of such performers as Fred Allen, Victor Moore, George Raft, Sophie Tucker, Georgie Jessel and Ben Bernie. Moses and Johnson eventually added a reel of motion picture news events to their Sunday concerts and when vaudeville died out in the late-1920’s, motion pictures succeeded the stage shows.
The Liberty Theatre, like many other theatres of the day, had a double-feature-only policy.
It was closed in 1953 and later became a bowling alley and then a discotheque. It now serves as a church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.