Bayview Playhouse

1605 Bayview Avenue,
Toronto, ON M4G

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 4 comments

DavidDymond
DavidDymond on September 6, 2013 at 2:24 pm

The Bayview was operated by Twentieth Century Theatres which are NOT part of the FOX empire. Twentieth Century Theatres were operating partners of Famous Players Canadian Corporation, the company that controlled almost all important theatres in Canada!!

Crates
Crates on September 6, 2013 at 4:03 am

605 Bayview Avenur was address when the theatre opened in 1936 but it closed as 1605 Bayview because the city added 1000 to all the numbers when the Bayview Extension opened. It was a 20th Century Fox theatre in the late 50’s and the Saturday afternoon double feature matinee used to be 15 cents

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on July 12, 2008 at 4:27 pm

The article on the Hollywood Canada website (see above) suggests that the theatre did not become the Bayview Playhouse until they took the building over and renovated it. Actually, it began operating as the Bayview Playhouse not long after its closing as a movie house and several productions were staged there well prior to 1989, including a notable production of “Godspell” around 1973 that starred the then little- known actors Victor Garber, Gilda Radner, Martin Short, Andrea Martin, and Eugene Levy.

qwo06
qwo06 on July 11, 2008 at 8:39 pm

The theatre was owned by Nathan Taylor and Famous Players.