Essoldo Lane Top
Lane Top, Barnsley Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened as the Capitol Cinema on 18th September 1939. George Coles was the architect and it was built by the Sheffield Gleeson Building Co. using coloured bricks relieved by cream facience which was also used on a fin tower at the right hand side of the facade. Seating was for 1,716 of which 500 were in the circle. The proscenium width was 36 feet, and it had quite a large stage with four dressing rooms. In 1940, a Le Fleur organ was installed
From 1942-1945 Sunday Concerts were staged with Vic Oliver, Rob Wilton, Tessie O'Shea, George Formby and Tommy Handley appearing. The Essoldo Chain bought out the Gleeson Cinemas (which also included the Forum Cinema on Herries Road (later known as the Essoldo Southey) in November 1947, but did not rename the Capitol Cinema to Essoldo until April 1950. 3D films, such as “The House Of Wax” appeared in 1953 with CinemaScope and stereophonic sound being installed in 1954. In April 1972 the Essoldo Cinemas chain were sold off to the Classic Cinemas chain who renamed the cinema as the Vogue Cinema as they already had a Classic Cinema in the city centre. The Vogue Cinema closed on 4th October 1975 and became the Crown Bingo Club. It is now a furniture warehouse but the original proscenium arch is still visible in the showroom.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater