Shipley Picture House
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Shipley, near Bradford, it opened on 21st October 1907 as the Queen’s Palace Theatre. It was a conversion by architects Empsall & Clarkson of a former coffee palace, with a seating capacity of 300. It was closed on 30th May 1908 and re-opened on 3rd August 1908 with ‘animated pictures’.
The Queen’s Palace Theatre closed in early-1914 for conversion to a cinema. The grand opening for the Shipley Picture House was December 13, 1915 and the seating capacity had been increased to 900. Again, the architects were Empsall & Clarkson. In 1929 the Shipley Picture House closed briefly for renovations which included installation of a Western Electric sound system. The theatre reopened on October 28, 1929 with a programme of Kine-Variety.
The Shipley Picture House closed August 31st 1932 and the last movie shown there was "A Honeymoon Adventure". The building was used as a training centre for Sea Cadets until 1960. Later, the empty building was damaged by fire and demolished in the 1960’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater