Coronet Theatre

836 Yates Street,
Victoria, BC V8W 1L8

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Famous Players

Architects: A.C. Clarkson

Functions: Office Space

Previous Names: Atlas Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Original Coronet exterior

Originally opened on May 16, 1936 as the Atlas Theatre with Charles ‘Buddy’ Rogers in “Old Man Rhythm”. It was taken over by Famous Players who closed in on April 30, 1966 for renovations to be carried out. It reopened as the Coronet Theatre on June 23, 1966. It had 910 seats and was closed by Famous Players on February 26, 1989 with Nick Nolte in “Three Fugitives”. The theatre has been converted into an office building.

Contributed by Chad Irish

Recent comments (view all 10 comments)

Jason Whyte
Jason Whyte on April 16, 2006 at 2:38 pm

Part of downtown Victoria’s old “Theatre Row” which also contained the Haida, the Odeon and the Capitol. The last two theatres still stand as first-run multiplexes by Cineplex Odeon and Empire Theatres, respectively.

Building has been completely demolished and a new office building stands in its place.

Was a very good theatre in the day. Many seats, huge screens and also ran 70mm/6 track engagements.

MarilynT
MarilynT on July 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm

“Eric C. Clarkson designed the Coronet Theatre (1936)” University of Victoria

The style is Art Deco/Moderne

It was not completely demolished. It closed in 1990 and is being used as office space. The exterior has been preserved.

ScreenClassic
ScreenClassic on June 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm

This theatre first opened as the Atlas in 1946. I think it actually was renamed the Coronet in about 1965 or 1966 because it was listed as the Coronet at this address in the 1966 Victoria Yellow Pages.

Jake Bottero
Jake Bottero on January 11, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Closed, but not demolished…

ScreenClassic
ScreenClassic on February 13, 2018 at 3:27 am

This just in – the Atlas operated as an independent until it was acquired by Famous Players and closed for renovations on April 30, 1966, then reopened under FP ownership as the Coronet on June 23 that year (article below):

Atlas Theatre reopens as the Coronet, June 23, 1966

MarilynT
MarilynT on March 25, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for that clarification. It is now Yates Centre with a “For Lease” sign on the front. There are a few people coming in and out. It has a parking garage which opens on Johnson St. Parking is very valuable in this area. It’s still a beautiful building with a walkway on the east side. Two towers are going up beside it, 21 stories high. The Yates on Yates and The Vivid which faces Johnson St.

ScreenClassic
ScreenClassic on April 16, 2018 at 7:32 pm

A photo of the Coronet Theatre building as it looked in 1992 is now up in the photo section.

ScreenClassic
ScreenClassic on February 8, 2021 at 4:49 pm

New photo added in the photo section, showing the Coronet shortly after its 1989 closure.

ScreenClassic
ScreenClassic on May 9, 2021 at 6:31 am

Famous Players closed the Coronet on February 26, 1989 with a final showing of “Three Fugitives” (which moved over to the Capitol 6 after this). No listings were provided for the Coronet in the Times Colonist movie listings after this date, so this is the correct date for the closure.

Coronet Theatre final show February 26 1989Coronet Theatre final show February 26 1989 26 Feb 1989, Sun Times Colonist (Victoria, British Columbia, Canada) Newspapers.com

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.