Electric Picture House
18a Market Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Electric Picture House - Wotton (Official)
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: Picture House, Town Cinema
Originally part of the Old Crown Hotel which became a Conservative Club at the end of the 19th century. An upstairs lounge was used for film shows as early as 1902-1903. In 1913 it was named the Electric Picture House.
This room was replaced by a new building in the hotel stable yard in the 1920’s, and was known as the Picture House. Seating was provided for 205. The original upstairs lounge room became a boxing club.
The Picture House closed in 1965 and the boxing club moved in to this building. It was taken over by independent operators in 1991 and re-opened as the Town Cinema on 1st May 1991. Initially one night was devoted to bingo, but this soon ceased as films became more popular.
The Town Cinema closed in the third week of October 2002. A new company was formed to renovate and re-open the cinema. Volunteers (some were inmates from the local Leyhill open prison) and fundraising helped to re-open the cinema on 12th November 2005, reverting back to its original 1913 name.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.