Greystones Picture Palace
844 Ecclesall Road S.,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Greystones district to the southwest of the city. The Greystones Picture Palace opened on 27th July 1914 with the film “A Shot At Midnight”. A brick built building with stone dressings to the façade, which contained the auditorium block running parallel to Ecclesall Road S. The architects were J.P. Earle with Percy J. Roberts. A basement ballroom was opened in October 1914.
The cinema auditorium walls were in cream with an Indian red dado. Curtains were of a deep crimson colour. Seating was for 700, increased to 820 in July 1920 when a new café was opened and the ballroom extended. A BTH sound system was installed in 1930 and the first talkie film screened at the Greystones was “Sunnyside Up” on 14th April 1930. The ballroom also had a maple sprung floor fitted around this time. In 1936 a car park was provided.
Cinemascope was installed in July 1955. A fire closed the cinema for five weeks in August 1956 with most of the damage being to the ballroom. In 1957 a redecoration scheme was carried out under a Friese Green contract and the ballroom had another new floor laid. The cinema never opened on a Sunday. The last films - “A Challenge For Robin Hood” starring Barrie Ingham & “Ringo And His Golden Pistol” starring Mark Damon were screened on Saturday 17th August 1968.
The Greystones Picture Palace then became a bingo hall, with the ballroom converted into a nightclub called ‘Napoleons’. Following a disastrous fire on 27th November 1982, the building was demolished. The Wildcard Sports Bar now operates on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.