San Jose Auto Movie
750 E. Gish Road,
3 people favorited this theater
Located at Gish Road and Oakland Highway 17. This was the first drive-in theatre built in San Jose and opened as the Drive-In on June 16, 1946 with Evelyn Keyes in “A Thousand and One Nights”. By 1949 it had been renamed San Jose Drive-In and was operated by Guy Meek with a 600 car capacity. By 1952 the car capacity was given as 500. By 1953 it was operated by the Gannon Brothers & Gordon Allen. It retained the San Jose Drive-In name until at least 1957.
The San Jose Auto Movie switched to triple features in the mid-1960’s and started showing adult (non-porn) films on a frequent basis in 1967. It showed adult films only on triple bills in 1969 until closure.
Hard-core porn was shown only in the last two years of its existence beginning in 1977.
The drive-in closed in 1979 and an office complex was built on its site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater