Tree Theatre

119 S. Broadway Street,
Greensburg, IN 47240

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Tree Theatre

According to the September 23, 1939 issue of Boxoffice, the Tree Theatre opened September 19, 1939, seating 500, and was "of modern construction". It was built by Walter F. Easley, who was also the owner of Greensburg’s K of P Theatre. The article noted that the Tree Theatre was named for "the tree which grows out of the top of the Court House for which Greensburg is famous". The article went on to say Easley intended to operate both theaters full time.

By 1950 the Tree Theatre was operated by Affiliated Theaters Inc. out of Indianapolis, IN. It was closed in 1973 and was demolished in March 1974.

Contributed by Bryan Krefft

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Chris1982
Chris1982 on June 9, 2014 at 10:23 pm

The address for the Tree Theatre was 107 South Broadway St.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 29, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Ball State University’s Drawings and Documents archive has seven drawing and a blueprint of a theater built at Greensburg for Walter F. Easley in 1939. The architect was J. Lloyd Allen of the Indianapolis firm Allen & Kelley (John R. Kelley.)

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on December 3, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Address was 119 S. Broadway, as stated on the 1957 Christmas re-opening ad posted in 2016. Street view confirms that address, as the building across the alley to the right is still standing, and matches that in the 1962 exterior photo posted in 2019. It closed in 1973 and was demolished in March 1974 per a Decatur County History link, that won’t post because CT perceives it to be spam.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater