1 person favorited this theater
Built on the site of the Palace Theatre (1914-1939). The Palace Cinema opened on 13th May 1940 and was built and operated by Associated British Cinemas(ABC). This was the only Scottish ABC entirely designed by their in-house architect William R. Glen, with his trademark features of double height foyer, decorative splay wall grills, and wide auditorium curving in towards the 38ft wide proscenium.
Taken over by the J.B. Milne circuit from 30th September 1963, it went over to part-time bingo use in the mid-1960’s. From 1984, it became a full-time bingo club, but was taken over by new independent operators in 1985 and films were again screened, using the balcony seating area. The stalls area became a roller skating rink in 1988, with the balcony continuing on films (in the evenings?). Closed in 1991, it was demolished in 1992 and sheltered housing was built on the site.
The Palace Cinema was the only Glen designed cinema to remain unaltered until it’s closure and demolition. All original light fittings, decorative features, canopy and neon sign were in place until the end.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater