199 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Moray Playhouse opened on 24th November 1932 with “Jack’s the Boy” starring Jack Hulbert. It was one of the earliest cinemas to be designed by architect Alister G. Macdonald (son of the British Prime Minister at that time).
The small entrance was made through an existing building on High Street, with the auditorium built behind. Seating was provided for 1,522 in stalls and balcony levels. The Art Deco style decoration consisted of a stepped ceiling which contained circular hiuse-lights on each step, and conical shaped lights on the side-walls. There are two vertical pillars each side of the 40 feet wide proscenium opening, which were originally back-lit. The Playhouse also had a cafe for the convenience of its patrons. It was built for and operated by Caledonian Associated Cinemas Ltd.(CAC).
In 1986, the Playhouse was twinned, with screen 1 in the front stalls seating 330 and a new projection box constructed beneath the balcony. Original decorative features can still be seen in this screen. Screen 2, seating 220 in the former balcony, uses the original projection box and is decorated with drapes covering the walls. The original entrance on the High Street is no longer in use and entry is now via the side of the auditorium. The former cafe is now in use as a bar.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater