Strand Theater

1915 Second Avenue North,
Birmingham, AL 35203

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 3 comments

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 30, 2010 at 11:19 am

The web site Birmingham Rewound has some interesting information about the Strand and about its next-door neighbor, the Capitol Theatre. In 1948, the Capitol was renamed the Newmar Theatre, but a few years later that house closed, and the operators took over the Strand and renamed it the Newmar. This name remained until September, 1959, when the house went back to being the Strand. The Strand closed on November 28, 1962, and was demolished in August, 1963.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 4, 2008 at 10:12 pm

This is dated October 1915.

A Pilcher organ Opus 871 size 2/12 was installed in the Strand Theater in 1915.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 4, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Here is a 1920 photo of the Strand and the year given for this photo is 1939.