212 S. Michigan Street,
13 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
Architects: Henry L. Newhouse
Firms: Newhouse & Bernham
Previous Names: Blackstone Theatre
News About This Theater
The Blackstone Theatre opened on January 29, 1921 with Dorothy Phillips in “Once to Every Woman”. It was equipped with a Kimball organ. On December 25, 1929 it was renamed State Theatre, but was listed as (Closed) in 1932. Still (Closed) in 1933 it was listed as being part of the Paramount Pictures Inc. circuit managed by their subsidiary John Balaban. They had reopened it by 1934. It was still open in 1956, but it had closed by 1957. This attractive, ornate and good-sized theatre was converted to a nightclub by levelling the orchestra level after its movie house days came to an end.
Closed again in 2005, the State Theatre was sold in July 2006 to a group which plans to renovate and reopen the theatre as a cultural center. Renovation began in October 2010, and it reopened in 2012, but sadly closed in 2016.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.