No one has favorited this theater yet
The Strand Cinema was opened in the early 1930’s. It was the luxury cinema of Londonderry and at the time of opening had the largest neon sign in the whole of Ireland. The auditorium had troughs of concealed lighting, and seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. There was also a cafe for the convenience of patrons.
Taken over by the Curran circuit soon after opening, it was taken over by the Rank Organisation in the 1950’s. They gave it a make-over and changed the name to Odeon.
It was re-furbished in 1967, re-opening with "The Sound of Music" which was presented in 70mm. Rank closed the Odeon on 11th January 1975.
It was re-opened by an independent operator on 1st December 1975, now as a twin screen cinema, and was re-named Strand Cinema again. The Strand Cinema was closed on 17th September 1992 and was demolished within weeks. The new 7-screen Strand Cinema (now re-named Omniplex) was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater