World Theatre

16 N. Seventh Street,
Minneapolis, MN 55402

Unfavorite 4 people favorited this theater

Showing 9 comments

dmmaasch
dmmaasch on July 24, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Before it was remodeled in 1933, the lobby fronted on Hennepin Avenue. Later, during Ted Mann’s tenure, the balcony was remodeled into his offices and screening room, with an entrance on 7th. Street.

dmmaasch
dmmaasch on July 24, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Before it was remodeled in 1933, the lobby fronted on Hennepin Avenue. Later, during Ted Mann’s tenure, the balcony was remodeled into his offices and screening room, with an entrance on 7th. Street.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 21, 2011 at 12:13 am

When Ted Mann had the World Theatre remodeled in 1955, the project was designed by Liebenberg & Kaplan. Boxoffice of October 22, 1955, published a four-page article about the project, which begins here.

Supr8
Supr8 on June 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Here’s some trivia about The World and/or Academy (Shubert) theaters: Purple Rain was filmed in Minneapolis, including a lot of scenes at the First Avenue nightclub directly across 7th Street (the former Greyhound bus depot). The scene in which Jerome Benton dumps a woman in a trash bin was shot in the alley next to one or both of the theaters.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 4, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Here is a view of both theaters from wikipedia, circa 1957:
http://tinyurl.com/6hfdpo

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 4, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Here is the video mentioned on 2/6/06. I think that’s the Academy in the beginning of the video as well:
http://tinyurl.com/5ownqm

cheebalicious
cheebalicious on February 6, 2006 at 3:06 am

This and the theater next door are shown towards the beginning of an old Husker Du video, “Makes No Sense At All.” The World looks identical to this pic, except for being run down – tiles missing from the blank marquee, a “For Lease” sign in the window.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 12, 2005 at 3:50 pm

The large theatre next door to the World with the sign “Minneapolis Evangelical Auditorium” on the side and the name “Alvin Theatre” on its stage tower, was the 1910 Shubert Theatre, listed on Cinema Treasures under the name it received when remodeled and reopened as a road show house two years after this picture was taken, the Academy.