Kaufman Pike Drive-In

7041 Hawn Freeway,
Dallas, TX 75217

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Kaufman Pike Drive-In

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Contributed by Billy Holcomb / Billy Smith / Don Lewis

Recent comments (view all 10 comments)

DonLewis
DonLewis on March 20, 2009 at 10:49 am

An old moveie theater ad from 1949 for the Kaufman Pike Drive-In.

Egostomus
Egostomus on September 22, 2009 at 4:33 am

The sign for this old theater was still standing long after the actual theater was gone. It stood in the field that is now between the Police substation and the big church on the south side of Hwy 175 and to the west of Jim Miller road.

rivest266
rivest266 on October 17, 2009 at 9:49 am

This opened on July 1st, 1949 with the Hi-Vue Drive-In. ad at View link

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on April 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Kaufman Drive in was owned by C.W. Wisenberg and held 600 cars.Small for Dallas area Drive-ins of 1956.

DonLewis
DonLewis on May 23, 2010 at 7:45 am

From 1963 a Dallas Area drive in theater ad.

Driveintheatre2001
Driveintheatre2001 on February 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I believe Mr Wisenberg also owned the Bruton Rd Drive In, that was in Balch Springs/Mesquite area….

RAC

Drive-In 54
Drive-In 54 on February 11, 2012 at 11:48 am

Uploaded some aerial views.

Driveintheatre2001
Driveintheatre2001 on February 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm

The Kaufman Pike Drive In, located on Hawn Freeway (aka 2nd Ave), at the intersection of Jim Miller Rd. When the state widened the Freeway, the screen had to be moved inward several yards. In doing so, the original snack-bar was almost at the screen so instead of moving the snack-bar, another one was built, leaving the original snack-bar in front of the screen. Guess it was used for storage. Today, nothing remains of the Kaufman Pike…

rivest266
rivest266 on October 23, 2013 at 11:36 am

July 1st, 1947 grand opening ad uploaded here.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on November 25, 2013 at 2:56 am

The Kaufman Pike was a 600-car capacity drive-in opened July 1, 1949 for Charles W. Weisenburg. The Kaufman Pike opened with “Montana Mike” the same day that the Hi-Vue Drive-In opened by W.P. Moran. Weisnburg’s first drive-in was the Palo Duro in Amarillo but he would add five drive-ins to the Dallas Fort Worth area during the drive-in boom of the late 1940s and early 1950s. He also owned the Crest Theater, an indoor operation less than 15 miles away in Seagoville. While playing mostly second run double features, throughout the 1950s, the Kaufman Pike exhibited first-run B films, as well. John William “Wild Bill” Tucker brought his cowboy shooting and sound effects touring show to the Kaufman in 1953. The President of Jacksonville College hosted an Easter sunrise service at the drive-in in 1954. In the 1960s, the Kaufman would also get some first-run films from major studios in what were termed “saturation releases.”

in 1978, Weisenburg auctioned off his Kaufman Pike, Linda Kay, Bruton Road, and Lewisville 121 Twin drive-ins as he was retiring from his circuit that had 38 theaters at its apex. The Kaufman Pike closes in 1979. It has a grand re-opening by its new operator, Global Pictures Ltd., on June 6, 1981 showing “Texas Lightning,” “Graduation Day”, and “Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw”. The theater made it to its 35th anniversary on July 1, 1984. When it closed for the season at the end of 1984, it didn’t appear to re-open in 1985.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater