32 York Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the south-west London district of Battersea. The Royal Standard Music Hall was built in 1886, designed by a Mr Newton. It was operated by George Washington Moore and was soon known as the Washington Music Hall, a name which lasted until 1900.
It had several short periods with other names: in 1900 Battersea Palace of Varieties, in 1901, Washington Music Hall (again), in 1902 New Battersea Empire Theatre, in 1903 Battersea Empire Theatre, in 1908 Palace Theatre of Varieties, when films were screened as part of the variety programme and it became part of the MacNaghten Vaudeville Circuit, and in 1917 Battersea Palace Theatre. From November 1924, it was no longer licenced as a theatre or music hall and had been converted into a full time cinema.
There could have been some rebuilding and remodeling, as by 1929, it was operating as a cinema, named the Super Palace. It programmed films and variety shows on the stage, and many films from the ABC release were screened here, as Associated British Cinemas(ABC) did not have a cinema in the Battersea area.
After World War II, it was taken over by Bloom Theatres Ltd. CinemaScope was never fitted here, and the Super Palace was closed in 1958. It lay closed and increasingly derelict for many years and was eventually demolished in around 1968 or 1969, and the site was re-developed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater