43 Croydon Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Lou Morris
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Capitol Cinema
Located in Caterham, today part of Greater London, on its extreme southern border. The Capitol Cinema opened on 6th October 1928 with Moore Marriott in “Victory”. Seating was provided for 950, with 700 in the stalls and 250 in the circle. It was designed to screen sound films and was fitted out for them with a Western Electric system on 26th April 1930. It was a project of the Lou Morris chain. The Capitol Cinema also had a café for the convenience of its patrons.
Always independently operated, it was equipped with CinemaScope on 30th May 1955 and was re-named Florida Cinema. It was closed on 13th August 1960 with Debbie Reynolds in “Tammy”.
A parade of shops & offices named Quadrant House now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
According to this webpage, the Capitol later became the Florida in 1955 and was then equipped to show films in CinemaScope.
A picture of Quadrant House can be seen here.
Newspaper article posted.