No one has favorited this theater yet
Showing all 4 comments
The Deluxe Theatre
P O Box 140 Opotiki
The Deluxe Theatre Opotiki was originally built for the Shalfoon Brothers in 1926 and was used for Films and live shows for many years.Around 1928 Kerridge leased the theatre (The third in his chain)and ran it until he eventually he perched it around 1940. Kerridge changed the name to The Regent and it stayed in his chain of cinemas until around 1976.In 1960 a Fire burnt out the stage and auditorium Kerridge-Odeon rebuilt the the cinema but not the stage.In 1976 it was sold to Brian Amsley Two years latter the Regent was Purchased by the Opotiki Community Theatre Trust who still run it today
The Name was changed back to the Deluxe,and the Entrance has been restored to its original Art Deco style and the stage has been reinstated many more renovations have been carried out, including a small 40 seat theatre to the north side. The main theatre still seats over 500 people and is used regular. Films are shown in the small theatre most weekends and a silent film festival is held each September in conjugation with a silent film-making competition
Here is another photo.
A close-up of the De Luxe Theatre, photographed in March 2009: