Grand Opera House

651 Mulberry Street,
Macon, GA 31201

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 4 comments

Will Dunklin
Will Dunklin on May 31, 2013 at 12:58 pm

The Robert Morton Organ Company records selling a 2 manual organ to the Grand Theatre in Macon Georgia in 1925. That is possibly this theatre. Is an organ still in this hall? Are there even empty chambers where an organ once stood?

cccmoviehouses
cccmoviehouses on July 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm

The Grand was Macon’s premier movie theatre in the 50’s and 60’s, superb with double balconies and terried box seats on each side, what a magnificent theatre it was, the large marquee is gone and now Mercer University owns it. It was completely restored and now is the palace it always was with live shows, concerts etc. The Grand has one of the largest stages you will find in any theatre and the entire Macon community enjoys this grand venue.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 23, 2009 at 2:33 am

Albert A. Weis took over the Grand Opera House in 1910, according to an item in the New York Times of June 28 that year. The article said that Weis controlled a circuit of theaters in Texas, Mississippi, and adjoining states.

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on April 23, 2009 at 12:49 pm

As the Academy of Music, this theater is listed under Macon GA in the 1897-98 edition of the Julius Cahn Official Theatrical Guide. It lists a seating capacity of only 1,061, however. The Mgr. was Henry Horne. Ticket prices ranged from 25 cents to $1. The auditorium was on the ground floor. There were 7 in the house orchestra. The proscenium opening was 28 feet wide X 32 feet high, and the stage was 38 feet deep. Newspapers were the Telegram and the News. Hotels for show folk were the Brown House, Hotel Lanier, Park, Pierpont, and Stubblefield. The 1897 population of Macon was 35,000.