610 W. Roosevelt Boulevard,
1 person favorited this theater
The “New” Super Drive-In opened June 1, 1956. Located on Roosevelt Boulevard West (Highway 74 West) near Morgan Mill Road (Highway 200) the six-acres would eventually contain a swimming pool, trampolines and a miniature golf-course.
Brief news article in the Monroe Journal on May 30, 1956 (p. 5) informed readers that it had one of the largest screens in the area built specifically to show films in Cinemascope. First feature: "The Far Country" with James Stewart and Walter Brennan. "Children under 12 admitted free at all times" per ad in the Monroe Enquirer on May 31, 1956. The ads would continually label it as the "New" Super Drive-In for years to come, supposedly competing with the other drive-in less than a mile west, the "New" Monroe Drive-In which had opened four years earlier. J. Dunham Bundy, Jr. was the owner/operator of the Super Drive-In. (Interesting to note that in 1940 he was the projectionist for The Center Theatre also in Monroe).
There were two entrances to the complex – one from Roosevelt Boulevard and the other from Morgan Mill Road on a side-street still known as "Bundy Street".
The drive-in closed sometime between 1984-1985. In 2009 multiple businesses now take up the six acres. These include a Sagebrush Restaurant and a Holiday Inn-Express.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater