Orpheum Theater

264 South Street,
Utica, NY 13501

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 3 comments

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm

According to the article Tinseltoes linked to, the South Street Theatre opened in July, 1914. William P. Donlon, operator of the Orpheum Theatre on Lafayette Street, took over this house after the original Orpheum burned in March, 1917.

Our Movie Houses: A History of Film & Cinematic Innovation in Central New York, by Norman O. Keim, lists the Orpheum as having been in operation until 1953.

Jack Theakston
Jack Theakston on October 3, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Should be listed as demolished. There still stands an empty lot where it once was.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 16, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Described in this 1919 trade article, which notes a previous existence as the South Street Theatre: archive