Actors' Playhouse at the Miracle Theater
280 Miracle Mile,
5 people favorited this theater
The Miracle Theater opened on December 7, 1948 as a neighborhood movie house with 1,600 seats, which were located on the main floor and a seperate raised section at the rear. Its sumptuous Streamline Moderne lobby and marquee welcomed visitors to the movies for decades until the theater closed.
The City of Coral Gables purchased the historic movie house and, in 1990, the Miracle Theater began a $6.5 million dollar renovation to become the home of the Actor’s Playhouse.
Five years later, the Miracle Theater became a performing arts center and returned the theater to its original Art Moderne opulence. Workers stripped off fibreglass wall coverings to reveal green-and-white Deco floral patterns, 1947 designs that had been hidden for years. The lobby was returned to its original elegance with refurbished hardwood counters and wall paneling, restored Art Deco lighting fixtures and signage, and a period-inspired carpet.
Restoration of the beautiful 600-seat Mainstage auditorium was completed in 1995. Mainstage has a proscenium opening 45' wide by 22' height.
In 1988, a portion of the large former balcony became the 300 seat Balcony Theater. The Balcony Theater is used for childrens theatre, smaller productions and by community cultural groups.
The Black Box Studio is also on the second floor. It seats up to 100, and has panels that can divide it up into three rooms. The Black Box performance space is designed for innovative new work, cutting-edge experimental theater, and to provide space for rehearsals, educational programs, and visual arts exhibitions.
Today, the Miracle Theater is still the home of the Actor’s Playhouse theater company. It is a cultural and performing arts center for the community that truly reflects the greatness of the theater’s past.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater