164 Edgware Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Cinematograph Theatre was opened in March 1909. It was the first cinema to be operated by Montagu Pyke, who soon built up a small chain of Cinematograph Theatres around London. It was built on the site of two shops, and was designed by architect William Hancock. At the time of building it was located next to an amusement parlour named ‘Funland’. It was on the East side of Edgware Road, between Harrowby Street and Crawford Place, on a plot of land which today is immediately adjacent to the south of the old Woolworth’s store. The original seating capacity was for 500 and there was a 20 feet wide proscenium. In around 1916, it was re-named Recreations Cinema.
By 1937, it had been re-named Connaught Cinema, and by the time of its closing on 28th February 1964, it had a reduced seating capacity for 397. The final film was Tyrone Power in "Diplomatic Courier".
A retail shop and units above was built on the site, in 2009 they are vacant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater