11 East Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on the corner of East Street and Hook Road, slightly off the main town centre. The Electric Theatre was opened around October/November 1910. It was designed by Harry Smallman, for his father Sir George Smallman. There were two large towers each with open domes on top, on each side of the facade. Inside the auditorium, the screen was located at the front of the building, alongside the entrance.
The Electric Theatre closed as a cinema in 1923, and the building was empty and unused until 1926, when it re-opened as a live theatre, known as the Pavilion Theatre. There was only a very small stage, that was about 10 feet deep and 14 feet wide. The Pavilion Theatre was closed on 10th August 1929, ‘for redecoration’, but it never re-opened. It lay empty and unused for over a decade, and after World War II ended in 1945, it was damaged by fire. The by then derelict building was demolished in 1953, and in 2009, the site is an empty plot of land, slightly taken over by road widening at the Hook Road corner.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater