1876 Washington Boulevard,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened on October 28, 1949, as the Starlite-Drive-In. At this time there were already three other Ogden-area drive-ins. Its opening was not without controversy as the neighbors on Shupe Lane appealed that its license be denied on the grounds that it would worsen already hazardous traffic conditions at Washington Boulevard and Park Boulevard.
It began its 1965 season as the Uptown Drive-In and under management change and with a remodeled snack bar. It appeared to drop out of the theatre listings in early November of 1969. At this time all of the other Ogden area drive-ins were open year round and offered in-car heaters.
It was open again on April 29 of 1970 with a name change to the Utah Drive-In with and ad proclaiming ‘Newly Remodeled’. Apparently it was under new management, as in January an ad appeared in the Ogden Standard-Examiner classifieds to sell a drive-in grossing $70,000. Later, ads appeared asking for a manager and other employees to apply. In June of 1970 things began to look up when the Utah Drive-In had what was described as ‘World Premiere Showing’ of “The Cheyenne Social Club” which they played day and date with the downtown Orpheum Theatre.
It dropped out of the movie listing in early November of 1977, when there were still four other year-round drive-ins, but continued to operate seasonally and was last listed in the International Motion Picture Almanac in 1988.
Apartments now occupy the site near Park Boulevard and Shupe Lane.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater