44-48 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on 26th February 1913 as the Picturehouse on Whitstable High Street, it was designed by architect Edwin Pover. The building had previously been Church & Co. furniture store. It was a reverse cinema, with the screen located at the entrance end on High Street.
In 1937 it was rebuilt and enlarged to the plans of architect Frank Ernest Bromige and now contained 1,000 seats, re-opening as the Argosy Cinema. It was given an Art Deco style frontage (in response to competition from the nearby Oxford Cinema). In later-1950 it was remodeled and re-named the Regal Cinema.
The Regal Cinema was closed on 17th September 1960 with Robert Mitcham in “The Wonderful Country”. The interior was gutted and it was converted into Whitstable’s first supermarket, which was operated by Finefare. At this time the Art Deco style frontage was simplified in to a very plain 1960’s design with large central windows sadly replacing the curved Art Deco. For a while, a Chinese restaurant operated in the circle foyer.
It remains as a supermarket in 2009 operated by Budgens.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater