Cinema 1 & 2
1305 East Broad Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the Richmond Plaza Shopping Center, near Highway 74 East. The Cinema 1 & 2,also known as The Richmond Plaza Cinema opened its doors to the public in 1967 as a single screen theatre that was owned and operated by Meiselman-H.B. Theatres Group.
It was at one time,the second moviehouse to opened in all of Rockingham and Richmond County since the Richmond Plaza Shopping Center opened its doors to the public in 1966 as one of the first strip plazas in the county.
The theatre itself was a showplace with the huge auditorium itself that seated over 800. Complete with plush rocking chairs and a huge widescreen that was capable of showing a variety of films. By the early 1970’s,the cinema was acquired by Charlotte-based Eastern Federal Theatres Corporation.
By the mid-to late-1970’s(possibly 1978)construction started on splitting the original auditorium into two sections,using the straight down the middle technique, thus making the Richmond Plaza Theatre into a twin cinema, under the Eastern Federal banner.
By the early-1990’s,the theatre was sold by Eastern Federal Corporation and was acquired by Carmike Cinemas (which also owned and operated the Plaza Twin Theatres just across the street from the Richmond Plaza), but it was still bringing in the crowds when showing a variety of films, mostly family features. It remained that way until its closing in 1998.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater