No one has favorited this theater yet
This building was erected at a cost of 8,000 pounds in 1899. The funding came from subscriptions paid by the miners who worked at the nearby Nixon’s Colliery in Mountain Ash. It was the largest of all the miner’s institutes built in South Wales with a theatre seating capacity of over 1,500 in its early years plus a library and meeting rooms. The building was constructed in the typical Welsh welfare hall style of the 1890’s using local stone and boasting some very attractive arched, Gothic style windows.
By 1937, it was known as the New Theatre and had been fitted with a British Acoustic sound system. Just after World War II, in around 1946, it was re-named Workmen’s Hall.
In the mid-1950’s, it was fitted with a GB-Kalee sound system. The proscenium was 30 feet wide for Cinemascope, and the building was listed as having a cafe & dancehall attached. Still listed as open in 1966, closing soon after.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater