1254 Second Avenue,
37 people favorited this theater
The Beekman Theatre, located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, was a single-screen ‘art house’ movie house which drew large audiences ever since it opened in 1952. It was built for the Rugoff & Becker chain.
The theater’s exterior (including its signature marquee, with its name in cursive-style) was modern but stylish. Inside, the Beekman Theatre featured high-backed plush seats, rich carpeting, and wood-panelled walls.
The audience entered the auditorium from the side, in between two levels of seating. This seating layout, similar to the Ziegfeld Theatre, was the true precursor of stadium-style seating.
Until the end, the theatre opened and closed the curtains before the beginning of every film. Films buffs will recognize the Beekman’s cameo in the Woody Allen film “Annie Hall”.
The historic Beekman Theatre closed in late-June of 2005 with “The Interpreter” being the final film shown on its screen, after its landlord, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, decided not to renew Clearview Cinemas' lease.
The Beekman Theatre was demolished in November/December 2005, to make way for a new breast cancer research center. The Beekman name was moved to Clearview’s New York One & Two across the street, which was renamed the Beekman One & Two, and from October 2008 became the Beekman Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater