710 Central Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Sioux Theatre was a one story brick building in the middle of the third block of Main Street, facing west. It opened orginally in 1939 in a different location, at 809 Central Avenue and remained there untill 1961, when it moved to the former Comet Theatre, location at 710 Central Avenue, which operated from 1945 to 1954.
The original owner was Harry Lankhorst, who ran the theatre (along with the Wigwam Drive-In theatre, north of Hawarden) from 1939 to April 1963. Lankhorst sold the theatres to B.N (Norc) Brown, who ran them until April 1, 1974, when he sold them to Gary Mossengren.
The Sioux Theatre was open usually from January to the first week of May and opened again on Labor day weekend.
in 1961, a new rock front was put on the building, along with a remodeled front lobby, which included paneling and new carpet. The seats were metal with maroon vinyl cushions. The marquee was a metal sign which said SIOUX down it with a indian head on the top, complete with a headdress that lit up.
The Sioux Theatre closed for good on May 1, 1983, and sat empty untill it was torn down, along with two other buildings on the same block, on March 10, 1988. The marquee was saved, along with a couple of the chairs for a local museum. The last sold-out show film shown there was "ET" on Christmas, 1982.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater