Hoyts Ritz Concord Central
43 Majors Bay Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the west Sydney suburb of Concord. The Central Picture Palace was opened on 26th May 1921. It was a one level cinema, containing 1,100 seats. In the late-1920’s, it was re-built as a two level cinema, with seating for 1,150, and was re-named Ritz Theatre. It was equipped with a Christie 2Manual/5Ranks organ in 1931. Organists who appeared here include Knight Barnett, Stan Cummings, Les Waldron and Jim Williams. Taken over by Western Suburbs Cinemas circuit in October 1934, the Christie organ was removed to the Strathfield (later Melba) Theatre in 1935.
The Ritz Theatre became part of the Hoyts Theatres chain from March 1944. It was operating on a restricted opening hours policy when it closed on 2nd January 1960 with “This Earth is Mine” and “Broth of a Boy”.
The building then became a storehouse for the Hoyts Theatres chain for several years. In 1977, it was converted into a supermarket.
In the late-2000’s, it was converted into apartments, with a coffe bar in the former foyer area.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater