Ufa Gloria-Palast

Kurfurstendamm 12-13,
Charlottenburg,
Berlin 10719

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Auditorium of the Gloria Palast, Berlin, Germany in 1926

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Ufa’s main premiere theater in Berlin’s western district of Charlottenburg. The Ufa Gloria-Palast opened on 26th January 1926 with “Tartuffe”. It was designed in a Gothic style by architects Ernst Lessing and Max Bremer. It had a seating capacity of 1,200. The cinema was the site of the first German ‘talkie’, and site of the first showing of the classic “Der blaue Engel”(“The Blue Angel”).

It was destroyed by allied bombs in November 1943, leaving just the ruins of the outer walls.

A new Gloria Palast cinema was built on the site, and was set within an apartment building. It opened on 2nd January 1953 and closed on 6th August 1998, to be converted into a Benetton clothing store.

Contributed by Robert Burger

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on April 22, 2005 at 10:25 am

The architects of the original Ufa Gloria Palast were Ernst Lessing and Max Bremer who designed a magnificent Gothic styled cinema that seated 1,200. As stated above, this was sadly destroyed by bombs in 1943

The new Gloria Palast was an entirely different building on the same site, contained within an apartment building that was constructed in 1953. The cinema was upstairs on the first floor and was designed by Siegfred Fehr and Gerhard Jackel. It was a single floor cinema (with no balcony) and seated 954. There was also a small 190 seat cinema in the basement which was called the Gloriette.

Both screens closed on 6th August 1998 and were immediately stripped out. It was converted into a Benetton clothing store, but being a Listed building, many of the original decorative features have been retained.

kinokompendium.de
kinokompendium.de on June 30, 2007 at 5:19 am

More infos and photographs on this theater (and many others) can be found on the German language only Berlin Movie Theater Guide – www.kinokompendium.de: Gloria Palast & Gloriette (1948 – August 15th 1998)

woody
woody on October 19, 2010 at 4:14 am

WWII photo – rather a scary one, around the time it was destroyed by bombs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/woody1969/5009814262/

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater