No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Shipley, Yorkshire. The Art Deco style Glenroyal Cinema opened on 5th September 1932 at 2;30pm with the film "Emma" and a live jazz band on the small stage.
It was designed by architect Ernest H. Dawson of Manchester and seated 1,200, including 350 in the balcony. An unusual feature of the Glenroyal Cinema was five large windows with internal geared shutters, which could flood the auditorium with natural light.
There was a 2Manual Hammond organ on a rising lift which was regularly played until the cinema closed, when it was removed to a Working Mens Club nearby. CinemaScope was installed in 1955, and the capacity of the hall was reduced slightly.
The Glenroyal Cinema closed on 8th December 1962 with Shirley MacLaine in "The Loudest Whisper". It was immediately converted into a bingo club operated by the Star Cinemas chain, which later became owned by EMI. Walkers reopened the Glenroyal Cinema in 1990 again for bingo, by this time a false ceiling had been installed at balcony level, only the ground floor of the building was used.
This too closed around 2008, and the building has lain derelict ever since. It was destroyed by a fire in the early hours of 18th January 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater