48 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Electric Palace opened on 23rd March 1910, with the Mayor of Croydon in attendance. The entrance (on a corner with High Street and The Retreat) was an adaption of an existing building and was decorated in a particularly fine plaster decoration. The auditorium was built at the rear, and ran parallel to the High Street, behind existing shops.
It was first operated by the Electric Palaces Ltd. circuit, and by October 1923, when it was closed, it was operated by the owner of the Central Electric Theatre, further along the High Street.
In 1927, the Electric Palace was converted into the Palais de Dance ballroom. In later years, the entrance became a laundrette, and the auditorium was in use as a John Blundel furniture store. By 2005, the entrance was in use by an estate agent, but the auditorium had been demolished, to be replaced by housing.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater