3-11 Richmond Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on Richmond Road at the corner with Oak Lane. The Twickenham Kinema opened on 15th October 1928 with Billie Dove in "The Beautiful Fraud". It was a project of Joseph Mears Theatres Ltd. and joined the other Kinema in the circuit located in Kensington, and later one in Richmond and another in East Sheen.
The Twickenham Kinema had a 35 feet wide proscenium and a small stage, with dressing rooms. The Kinema was equipped with a Compton 2Manual/7Ranks organ.
On 29th June 1940, the Twickenham Kinema was re-named Queens Cinema, and within six months it was requisitioned by the Government, for wartime use as a furniture store. In 1944, it was purchased by the Odeon Theatres chain, and re-opened on 24th December 1945. It retained the name Queens Cinema until 8th May 1950, when it was re-named Gaumont.
The Rank Organisation closed the Gaumont on 1st December 1956 with Aldo Ray in "Nightfall" and Gary Merrill in "Bermuda Affair". It had never been fitted for Cinemascope.
Later demolished a petrol station was built on the site, by 2010 it was a Shell Service Station.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater