1 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Savoy Cinema was opened on 3rd October 1921, with Doris Keane in "Romance" and Eddie Polo in "The Vanishing Dagger" (Episode 1). Built on the site of the old Town Hall at the junction of Vine Street and High Street, it was designed in a Georgian style by a Mr. Williams of the Covent Garden based architectural firm Williams & Cox.
Seating was provided for 666 in the stalls and 348 in the circle. It was taken over by the Union Cinemas chain in 1935, and in October 1937, they were taken over Associated British Cinemas(ABC).
ABC closed the Savoy Cinema on 18th June 1960 with Dirk Bogarde in "Doctor at Large" and Norman Wisdom in "Man of the Moment". It was converted into a Ladbroke’s Bingo Club, which was closed in 1982. The building was demolished in May 1983 and a branch of Royal Bank of Scotland was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater