Royal Artillery Theatre
Grand Depot Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the grounds of the Royal Artillery Barracks at the corner of Grand Depot Road and John Wilson Street in the southeast London district of Woolwich.. The old Garrison church was converted into a theatre and reception rooms in 1863. It was destroyed by a fire in 1903.
In 1904, noted theatre architect W.G.R. Sprague drew up plans for a live theatre to replace the former building. Although sited on Government land operated by the military, the public were allowed to attend the Royal Artillery Theatre and Opera House which opened on 21st December 1905. It was leased out by the Government to various managements, and was screening films in 1910 and 1911.
It was leased to Agnes Mary Littler, and became a playhouse under her management until 1940. It was then taken back by the Government due to World War II, and was operated by the Navy, Army & Air Force Institute, for military personnel only.
In 1948, it re-opened to the public, again as a playhouse, but was closed in 1956 and was later demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater