12 King Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on 9th October 1890 as the Oddfellows Hall for the Palmerston Lodge. From 1892, it became the principle place in Deal to see concerts, plays and pantomimes. From around 1910 it was converted into a cinema, and re-named Theatre Royal.
Sound was installed in 1930, and between October 1933 and February 1934, the interior was re-modeled in an Art Deco style by architect Henry W. Coussens. The original wooden balcony was replaced by a steel and concrete structure, and the open truss roof was covered in fibrous plaster ceiling. It was re-named Royal Cinema.
Closed in October 1961, it became a bingo club until July 1963, when the Bloom Circuit transfered the bingo operation to their larger Regent Cinema. The Royal Cinema was then re-opened as a cinema, finally closing on 4th April 1981 with Elizabeth Taylor in "The Mirror Cracked".
The building was then divided horizontally, making an amusment arcade in the former stalls and a snooker club in the former extended circle area. The former projection box is now a bar for the snooker club.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater