123 E. Washington Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Regent Theatre started life as the Park Theatre near the turn of the 20th century. It was located at 123 E. Washington Street, around the corner from the Penn Theatre, near the center of downtown New Castle (on ‘The Diamond’.) Originally built as a nickelodeon to complete with Warner’s Cascade Picture Palace and the Dome Theatre and Nixon Theatre, it was remodeled and renamed The Regent Theatre in the mid to late-1920’s.
A simple yet comfortable theatre, The Regent Theatre was home to first-run B movies and double features from the likes of such studios as Monogram, Astor and Republic Pictures. It was certainly ‘the’ place for serials, action and western films. All in all, a very popular place.
The Regent Theatre closed following a devastating fire in 1949 at an adjacent store named Candyland. The Candyland fire is still remembered as one of the worst in city memory. The Regent/Candyland building was torn down and remains a vacant lot to this day.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater