Log Cabin Theatre

213 Main Street,
Quincy, CA 95971

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

The original 240-seat Quincy Theatre at 469 Main Street was destroyed by fire on August 28, 1934. The replacement Quincy Theatre was opened on January 25, 1935 with James Stewart in “Here Comes the Navy”. On November 16, 1947 it was badly damaged in a fire. In 1948 it was remodeled to the plans of architectural firm Cantin & Cantin, reopening on August 22, 1948 as the Log Cabin Theatre. It was closed in 1958 and was demolished in April 1963 to build a Safeway supermarket.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on August 21, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Sure could use an address, more info, and photos.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on October 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm

Quincy Theatre operator Paul R. Sprague rebuilt this second Quincy Theatre opening at 213 Main Street with rustic architecture on January 25, 1935 with Jimmy Stewart in “Here Comes the Navy.” It would be converted to the Log Cabin Theatre in 1947.

The original Quincy Theatre was located at 469 Main Street and appears to have opened in 1916. On April 8, 1931, it was equipped for sound showing the comedy, “Top Speed.” Its final film was “Friends of Mr. Sweeney” burning down while in operation on August 28, 1934 in a fire started at the nearby Grand Central Hotel. A new theatre would be constructed at the same spot with the Town Hall Theatre.

Sprague sold the Quincy Theatre in 1947 which closed for a refresh under new operators Vernon and Edwary Claeys. On June 8, 1947, the Quincy reopened with new sound and projetion; though retrofitted, the theatre retained its rustic look. The Claeys would change the name of the venue to the Log Cabin Theatre.

On November 16, 1947, the theatre suffered extensive damage after a fire. It was rebuilt to the plans of Cantin & Cantin. It relaunched on August 22, 1948. The Log Cabin Theatre closed in 1956 and reopened briefly one last time under new operators on March 30, 1958. After closing for good later in 1958, the Log Cabin was purchased by Safeway for a grocery store in 1962 and was demolished in April of 1963. The grocery building had survived in the the 21st Century with Safeway leaving that property in 1976.

davidcoppock
davidcoppock on October 19, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Building is now a jewellery store(Sterling Sage).

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater