64 Mount Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Gorton, to the east of Manchester city centre. The Rivoli Cinema was at the intersection with Hyde Road, Kirkmanshulme Lane and Mount Road. It opened opened in 1936, and was operated as an independent cinema by Ben Kantor. It was a splendid Art Deco style cinema, with a facade faced in cream tiles. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 30 feet wide, and there was a 20 feet deep stage and eight dressing rooms.
The Rivoli Cinema was taken over by the Newcastle based Essoldo Circuit (Control) chain in 1946, and was re-named Essoldo. It was closed on 25th May 1968 with Barry Evans in "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush".
It was converted into a bingo club, and this lasted until the 1990’s, when it was closed and demolished. Housing was built on the site, known as Essoldo Close.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater