229 Baronne Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Firms: Favrot & Livaudais
Previous Names: Strand Theatre, Joy Strand Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 17, 2013 — “South Pacific” 55th Anniversary – The Roadshow Engagements
- Oct 13, 2010 — Happy 55th, Todd-AO & "Oklahoma!"
- Oct 30, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Sleeping Beauty"
Opened in 1917, the Strand Theatre was the Saenger Amusement Company’s star New Orleans house until the opening of the Saenger Theatre years later.
Originally, the Strand Theatre hosted vaudeville and stage acts as well as screening movies, had its own "concert orchestra" and housed a Wurlitzer Style 4 organ, which was later replaced with a 3 manual, 8 rank Robert Morton organ. In 1937 it was taken over by the Joy Theatres chain.
Decades later, in an attempt to lure away audiences from television, a vast curved screen was installed, and the Strand Theatre became New Orleans' first movie house to screen films in the "Todd A-O" process for several years and was renamed Panorama Theatre.
Unfortunately, the theatre later fell into decline, was closed and later razed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.