Burritt Opera House

8881 S. Seneca Street,
Weedsport, NY 13166

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

The Burritt Opera House was built in 1895 on the site of the old Mansion House Hotel. It served as both a stop for road shows and as a site for school presentations and graduations as the school auditorium had not yet been built. Movies were interspersed with the live performances.

In 1929 Earl Zimmer took over operation of the theatre and introduced sound pictures over the next two years.

On May 2, 1935 the Burritt Opera House burned to the ground in a spectacular fire. Mr. Zimmer rebuilt at once on the same site. The new theatre was named the Weedsport Theatre.

Contributed by Gregg Davenport

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on December 31, 2010 at 1:36 pm

The Burritt Opera House in Weedsport is listed in the 1897-98 edition of the Julius Cahn Official Theatrical Guide. The seating capacity was 620, tickets were 25 cents to 75 cents, and the theater was on the ground floor. The proscenium opening was 25 feet wide X 18 feet high, and the stage was 24 feet deep. There were 7 musicians in the house orchestra. House managed by Brown, Durbin & Sturge. There was a weekly newspaper, the Cayuga Chief; and hotels for show folk were the Willard House and Congress Hall. The 1897 population of Weedsport was 3,000.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on December 31, 2010 at 7:40 pm

There is a photograph and additional information Here: http://www.flls.org/Weedsport/theatres.html

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on January 1, 2011 at 8:29 am

The Weedsport Theater that was built on the site of thr Burritt Opera House is on Cinema Treasures.

More info and more photos are always welcome.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater