61 St. John's Hill,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The New Theatre was originally built in 1916 to a very simple ‘brick shed’ design. By 1928, it had been re-named New Picture Theatre. Closed on 24th June 1935 for remodeling. It was extensively rebuilt as the Carlton Cinema, opening on 23rd September 1935, with a totally new frontage including a double staircase to the circle and a new projection room with fire escape. Seating was provided for 325 in the stalls and 70 in the circle. It had a 20 feet wide proscenium. The Carlton Cinema continued to operate into the 1950’s, then had a change of ownership and was briefly renamed Embassy Cinema, but was closed in around 1954.
It was divided into upper and lower factory spaces. At present, it is owned by Mr. Warren Boulter who deals in surgical instruments. The lower room is sublet at a mattress store. The projection room still exists, although devoid of equipment, and the double staircase and simple Art Deco plaster decorations remain, as does the cinema safe.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater