2 Burton Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Palladium Cinema was opened in around March 1920. The single storey facade had a central entrance, with an arched pediment containing the name ‘Palladium’ in the stonework. On each side of the entrance was a small shop unit. Originally, it had a seating capacity for 459, with 374 in the stalls and 85 in a small balcony.
In 1931, when sound equipment was installed, alterations were carried out to build a new 20 feet wide proscenium, forward of the original one, this loosing a couple of rows of seating in the front stalls. There was a 13 feet deep stage. It was now known as the New Palladiom Cinema.
Always independently operated, and the only cinema to operate in Tutbury, the Palladium Cinema was closed in early-1956. In the late-1960’s, it was converterd into a social club, known as the Hillside Club and the use lasted until around 2001. In May 2002, it was converted into the Mughal Indian restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater