117 N. 19th Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Broadway Theatre was the first movie theatre to operate in Melrose Park, possibly opening around 1908 give or take a year or two. Named after the street it was located on (formerly N. 19th Avenue), it was when Russell R. Essery opened the National Department Store on the west side of N. 19th Avenue, he gave ‘Broadway’ its name.
The Broadway Theatre was a tall brick building on the east side of the street in the middle of the block (at around 117 N. 19th Avenue), between West Lake Street & Main Street. The trademark of the theatre was its large curtain, drawn upward at showtime, upon which was sewn a huge red rose for Mel-rose.
The Broadway Theatre was managed by Rudolf ‘Charles Rudolof’ Sallaz for many years, and operated until at least 1920. The new Melrose Park Theatre opened close by in 1917.
The above information is sourced from information researched by Albert Howard Elftmann, grandson of Rudolf ‘Charles Rudolf’ Sallaz.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater